Sunday, September 6, 2009

Maybe next year ...

I hope my first attempt at blogging goes a bit better than my first attempt at joining the teaching profession. However, I am not feeling too confident that it will. Having not obtained a teaching position, I have asked myself multiple times why I am still pursuing this career path. Each time I come up with the same answer ... I want to teach!

I signed up to substitute teach at Star City this fall and I have picked up a few days already. I have affirmed in my mind that I really enjoy being around kids ... I want to teach! Subbing so far has really seemed like nothing more than "babysitting". But at the same time I am learning about the students and how to better interact with them. I am getting my foot in the door at the school at which I hope to work next year. I will do my best to make that happen because I want to teach ... maybe next year!

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there, Sam. Substitute teaching is wonderful, hands on, training. Especially if your lucky enough to sub for a teacher who teaches your content area. Also, this gets your foot in the door. You might even consider substitute teaching at some other schools other than Star City. Looks good on the resume and then they (the powers that hire)get to see you in action. Plus, the teachers will put in a good word for you if you're a good, dependable sub. Another suggestion, ask the principal if you can "observe" classes while a teacher is teaching. Great at gleaning useful classroom management tools. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete