Saturday, November 14, 2009

I have been busy!!!

When I did not get a full time teaching job this year I decided to sign up to sub at Star City High and Middle Schools. So far this year I have subbed somewhere close to 40 days so I have been kept busy. I have also been writing for the Pine Bluff Commercial and the Arkansas Democrat Gazette. During my stat and note keeping for the games, the radio broadcast crew asked if they could use my stats during their halftime and post game shows. All of this has led to me being the unofficial stat man for the Bulldogs and I am now keeping the AAA records for the school during their playoff run.
I was contacted by the sports editor at the Pine Bluff Commercial a couple of weeks before football season and asked if I would be interested in writing for their sports section during high school football season. I told the editor that I would only be interested in covering Star City games because I would be atttending those games. I LOVE football in general but I wanted to go to Star City games and I knew that if I told them I would go elsewhere, I would not get to see many SC games. With the position that I am in, I want to do all that I can so that the people at Star City see that I truly want to be involved with the school there.
I remember years ago when I played football that I used to love to see my name in the paper on the rare occasion that our game was covered (The Commercial doesn't give much love to Star City historically) so I thought that I would write for SC because I know how great it feels to see your name in the paper. These players work really hard and I think that they really appreciate being written about.
Next week, Star City travels to Bald Knob for their second round game and I will make my radio play-by-play debut. The regular play-by-play man is going on a big hunting trip and will be out of town so he asked me to cover for him. I am really looking forward to that, I just hope I don't stick my foot in my mouth!! If you happen to be in the SE Arkansas area next Friday night, tune in to 99.9 and give me a listen! I may sound like a country hick but I do know football!

No comments:

Post a Comment